In Saxon Times the diocese of Dorchester extended from the Thames to the Humber and Stow seems to have been the head Minster for Lincolnshire. After the Conquest in 1067, Remigius became the first Norman Bishop of Dorchester and he moved his see to Lincoln.
Goislan was the Domesday tenant of Elesham (Elsham, Lincs.) and Jolanus (Jocelyn), Steward of the Bishop of Lincoln, may have been his son. Jolanus married Beatrix and they had three sons, Walter, William and Elias. Winthorpe in the Diocese of Lincoln, is mentioned in the early records and the following are Thoroton’s translations from Dugdales Monastigon, Vol. V1. P559.
“Walter de Amundevill, eldest son of Jolanus and Beatrix his wife, daughter of -------Pagnell of West Rasin in Lincolnshire gave the church of Winthorpe with that of Kinerby and some others to the Hospital of Ellesham in the County, which his said mother Beatrix began to found and also three mills situated upon the Trent without the town of Winthorpe and one in it, which Thurstan the carpenter and his heirs ought to hold of the said Hospital for 12d per annum, and one toft, with a bovatt and a half of land, which Ranulf Small (purvus) held in the same town.”
“William de Amundeville gave the monks of Rufford License to make a Fishing in his land, in the Trent between Wimblethorpe and Muscam.”
In the report of the Lincolnshire Archaeological Society Vol. 3. C.T. Clay wrote.
“Walter de Amundeville issued a charter of confirmation to the Hospital of Elsham founded by Beatrix his mother. This included revenues from certain villages including Winthorpe and mentioned three mills on the Trent at Winthorpe with a fourth in the village.”
According to Thoroton, “Alice, the daughter of Elias de Amundeville, gave her the town of Wintertorp (Winthorpe) to marry her”, C.T. Clay wrote, “Jollan of Elias had a son Elias who in 1200 gave the King 20 marks for having recognition whether Elias her father gave her the village of Winterton (Winthorpe) for her marriage.”
Dates are difficult to obtain but Jocelyn de Amundevills lived ------
During the reign of Henry 11 in 1160, Robert, Bishop of Lincoln, was in financial difficulties and obtained help from Aaron, the Jew, of Lincoln. The Bishop borrowed £300 and pledged the possession of the see and ornaments of the Church, including Winthorpe. When Aaron died in 1196, his property was seized by the Crown so Winthorpe became Crown property and remained so until 1215 when King John, returned it to the Bishop.
Revenues from Winthorpe were still paid to Elsham in 1534 so the village was connected with Elsham for over three hundred years. The church at Stow, near Saxilby, is well worth a visit. Its architecture is Saxon and early Norman.Elsham Priory was destroyed during the reign of Henry Vlll. The Hall, built on the site of the old Priory, dates back to the 17th century. It is north of Brigg in Humberside, and is well worth a visit.
Extract from Focal Point.
Further reading can be found in
Notes of Old Winthorpe in Volume 1.