An old account book for 1906-73 contains the following article in the first three pages. Written by the then Rector, the Rev. C.W.H.Griffiths, it is dated at the end April 2nd 1910. The fourth page contains the 1906 account in his handwriting and appears to be in the same ink. The Holt Close referred to was roughly where Winthorpe Lake is today.
In the church chest at Winthorpe is an old terrier headed as follows:-
A Terrier of all Glebe Lands, Parsonage House, Gardens, Outlets and Tythes belonging to the living of Winthorpe in the County of Nottingham and Diocese of York, delivered to His Grace the Archbishop of York the second day of May 1764.
In this document is the item:-
"Left to the Church one piece of ground called the Holt Close containing four acres or thereabouts in the custody of the Churchwardens at the yearly rent of four pounds ten shillings."
This is the oldest allusion I have seen in any document we possess as to the Church Holt. It was a field bounded by the Bundles on the two sides and by the Trent on the other two, which river there makes an angular bend. The whole area has from ___ been transferred to the parish of Holme. Its rent varied in the course of time. Up to 1808 it remained at £4.10.0. In 1809 it was raised to £8.3.0. In 1815 it was £12.9.4; in 1816 £10.13.9 and continued at £10.13.0 till 1881, when it was reduced to £10 and so remained till 1888. Then the field was sold to Mr. G.T.Pierce-Duncombe on August 6th for £267. This sum was invested in Midland Railway Stock and bore interest at £7.16.0 per annum. The income slightly decreased by 1906 being then £7.12.0. In 1907 this stock was sold and realised £232.7.8. With this was bought, at a cost of £220 at the sale of Mr. Pierce-Duncombes estate, October 11th 1906, completed March 25th 1907, the present church property, comprising two cottages, premises and gardens and the blacksmiths forge, bearing a rental of £6, £6.6.0 and £3, in all £15.6.0 per annum. The property is in the centre of the village and contains sufficient area for the site of a village hall without detriment to the rental value. Thus the income is higher now than it has ever been. The income has always been applied to church expenses, and indeed for many years was the only source of income for such purposes. But in as much as the product of offertories has very properly increased as well as the church expenses, and in as much as the offertories have been, and should be, quite sufficient to meet these expenses, and in as much as from time to time special expenses arise as to the repair of the church fabric and organ, or the renovation of fittings and furniture. It was in 1907, considered best and most provident to inaugurate a "Church Reserve Fund" into which rents and other sums might be paid. And this was done. The wisdom of this action was soon after vindicated for the spire, in 1909, was found to be in serious decay. Likewise the Chancel and Organ Chamber roof and tiles. These were repaired at considerable cost; a large share thereof was borne by the fund. It is evident that further repairs of the same character will, in the course of a few years, be necessary. Moreover, if at any time the offertories should so fall from special circumstances that the church expenses could not be met from them, then there would be this Reserve Fund to fall back on. Then, with regard to the organ, the instrument must necessarily, for its preservation, be cleaned periodically, and the usual cost of such cleaning and repair, would total about £20. For these and other such purposes, and for such additions etc. that from time to time the Rector and Churchwardens may think it necessary and requisite. This fund was commenced and a banking account opened at Messrs. Peacock and Wilson, the Bank, Castlegate, Newark on April 9th, 1907. Of course expenses connected with the upkeep of the property, must form the first charge on the rents and appear in the following accounts as part of the necessary charges against the Church Reserve Fund.
Clement W.H.Griffiths, Rector. April 2nd 1910.
The cottages were for many years occupied by Mr. Robert Hill, verger and Miss Caroline Groves and her two brothers. The blacksmiths shop was rented to Mr. W.Spafford, who lived at Langford and also had a smithy there. Their rents in 1907 were £3, £3.3.0 and £1.10.0, respectively. Mr. Hill continued as a tenant until 1939 and Miss Groves was still occupying her cottage in 1954, when all three properties were sold for £291.16.6, and the money invested in Defence Bonds. The present owners of the properties are Mr. and Mrs. Linkie and the latters garage was part of the old forge.
Miss K. E. Euston.
Extract from Focal Point.
Further readings can be found in
All Saints' Church in Volume 1.
The Bells of All Saints' Church in Volume 3.
Consecration of All Saints' Church, Winthorpe in Volume 4.
The Churches at Winthorpe in Volume 4.
Winthorpe Church Windows in Volume 4.
Stained Glass Windows in All Saints' Church in Volume 4.
Memorials In All Saints' Church in Volume 4.
All Saints' Church Bells, Winthorpe in Volume 4.